Senior Research Scientist
- quantitative methods for analyzing the dynamics of the current global nanotechnology research and patent literature and its translation into commercialization, financialization and environmental impact (with the Center for the Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology at Duke, and the Center for Nanotechnology in Society-UCSB, both funded by the National Science Foundation);
- the importance of affiliation structures and cognitive distance to the creation of disruptive technologies;
- developing visualizations of intellectual property platform historiographies;
- tracking the diffusion of hate speech and hot-button topics in Twitter networks;
- following the discursive formations of the current "revolution in military affairs" in contemporary media; and
- reading the changing topology of critical theory and new media studies literature.
In addition to working as a software developer and web designer has proliferated as a poet and multimedia artist. His website proximate.org (1999), a critical engagement with the subjectivizing mediations of hypertext writing, was the first poetics-based web site to be included in the New Museum for Contemporary Art's Rhizome collection. Patrick is the author of several books of poetry including the acclaimed Be Somebody (2008, Effing Press). Patrick is a pioneer of web mining-based poetics and is the founder of the now-legendary Carrboro Poetry Festival.
Curriculum vitae (PDF)
More Bio + Social Networks
Patrick James Herron
Bay 11-A241 Smith Warehouse, 114 S. Buchanan Blvd.Durham , NC , 27708-0766 US
+1 919 668 0276