- analyzing the dynamics of the current global nanotechnology research and patent literature (with the Center for the Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology at Duke, and the Center for Nanotechnology in Society-UCSB, both funded by the National Science Foundation);
- the importance of affiliation structures and cognitive distance to the creation of disruptive technologies;
- developing visualizations of intellectual property platform historiographies;
- tracking the diffusion of hate speech and hot-button topics in Twitter networks;
- following the discursive formations of the current "revolution in military affairs;" and
- reading the changing topology of critical theory and new media studies literature.
Prior to joining Duke Patrick completed graduate studies in Information Science at UNC-Chapel Hill's School of Library and Information Science. While at UNC Patrick's main research focus was on automated classification and clustering of large heterogeneous consumer health web collections. Most of his research energies concentrated around the development of novel semantic representations of text collections and purely unsupervised learning for machine reading. While at UNC he worked as a web technologies consultant and also as research assistant for ibiblio.org and a developer for SAS, where he authored the global web information architecture schema.
In addition to working as a software developer and web designer has proliferated as a poet and multimedia artist. His website proximate.org (1999), a critical engagement with the subjectivizing mediations of hypertext writing, was the first poetics-based web site to be included in the New Museum for Contemporary Art's Rhizome collection. Patrick is the author of several books of poetry including the acclaimed Be Somebody (2008, Effing Press). Patrick is a pioneer of web mining-based poetics and is the founder of the now-legendary Carrboro Poetry Festival.
More Bio + Social Networks
Patrick James Herron
Bay 11-A241 Smith Warehouse, 114 S. Buchanan Blvd.Durham , NC , 27708-0766 US
+1 919 668 0276